Thursday 5 June 2014

How does a Glow stick work

What I think now (before we start)

I think when you snap a glow stick there is a substance that lights up when moved around.

What I think now (after hearing others’ ideas)
I now think that there is a capsule of thin class with a specific chemical is within the glow stick so when it snaps the chemical makes the liquid glow.

What I think now (after seeing Miss C cut open the tube)
I now know that there is a capsule of thin class with a specific chemical is within the glow stick so when it snaps the chemical makes the liquid glow, 

What I think now (after researching)
I think that there has to be a special chemical to make the liquid glow and that the liquid has something special in it too. I think that the glow stick might be poisonous but I can not be sure.

3 questions I still have

Is a glow stick poisonous?

What is the chemical that makes the glow stick called?

Does the chemical reaction have a name and what is it if it does?


Synthesis is where you have a theory and you find out more until you have the correct answer by experimenting. Just like our science fair where you have Hypothesis and by the end you have a conclusion.

No comments:

Post a Comment